All of us whether it is in our companies or our daily lives are at least talking about implementing something. Maybe it’s starting an exercise program, some home improvement, or a lean transformation which starts with a kaizen event for your assembly line. Implementing something new is how we hope to get better results or satisfaction.
Here are some tips we’ve learned for successful implementations.
- Be willing to try something different and have the discipline to follow through. Many people and companies are stopped short by this step – they never even get started. They can’t get “off the dime.” The sooner we get started on something, the sooner we get results.
- Realize that you have to educate yourself. Have diligence to learn. Look for outside resources that can help you ask the right questions.
- Be ready for some measuring, testing, and adjusting. When you get 80% of a solution figured out, start implementing it and correct it as you go. It’s counter-productive to wait for perfection.
- Look to others to help you. In businesses successful managers pose the key problems to solve and ask teams they lead to develop and provide the answers.
- Be resilient when facing setbacks. Sometimes everything will flow smoothly, but often you’ll encounter some stumbling blocks.
Why bother? —- Investments made in implementations that may push us and challenge us will pay big returns before you know it.
By AEM Consulting Group, Inc.